Applying for the Award of the Credential

Once students complete the coursework and accompanying testing necessary to fullfill their credential requirements for their specific program area, they may apply for the Award of the Credential through the Graduate College of Education's Credential Office.

Award of the Preliminary Credential & CRS Credential (Burk Hall 244)

Students work with credential analysts in the Credential & Graduate Service Center in Burk Hall 244. Those interested in applying for the Award of the Preliminary Education Specialist Credential should phone (415) 405-3594 or send an email to

    Credential Services sends all students an exit checklist the semester of student teaching:

    To communicate directly with a Credential Analyst:

    • Students whose last name begins (A-K) should email Myla Adeva at 
    • Students whose last name begins with (L-Z) should email Claudia Murcia at

    In addition to coursework, students may also need to meet the CPR, U.S. Constitution and RICA tests requirements or BSR/SMR review forms:

    NOTE: The Preliminary Education Specialist Credential is valid for five years; refer to your Preliminary Credential document, issued through CTC, for renewal requirements. California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) issues all credentials.