The Department of Special Education Student Teaching guidelines with the deadlines, important information, and backup documentation requirements.
Student Teaching Application Deadline
- February 28 (Fall semester)
- September 28 (Spring semester)
Students should plan on completing their student teaching during their last semester in the credential program. Students must be enrolled full-time for a minimum of 12 units during the semester of student teaching. Students must apply for student teaching one semester before they intend to student teach.
Special Education (SPED) - Student Teaching application and Program CAP forms (please obtain from our Forms page) along with additional requirements listed below and on the student teaching application.
If you hold a credential or permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) make a copy and submit along with your application and CAP form in lieu of documentation below. Valid Multiple-Subject, Single Subject, Education Specialist, and Intern credentials cover all preconditions listed below. Valid Emergency Credentials or Permits cover only the COC and TB requirements.
Student Teaching Backup Documentation
- CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) must be taken prior to admission; must be passed prior to the second semester of enrollment. For more information on the Test go to their website: http://www.cbest.nesinc.com.
- Tuberculin Test (TB). Done within the 2 past years. Available at SFSU Health Center.
- Subject Matter Competence (Take the appropriate exam (CSET) - (note that CD, ECSE and O&M are exempt). make certain to take all the applicable subsets in the category you choose. For more information contact a Credential Analyst in the Credential Services Teacher Preparation Office (BH 244) or call (415) 405-3594.
- Certificate of Clearance (COC): Fingerprint Clearance via Live Scan and Commission on Teacher Credentialing online application.
- Unofficial Transcripts