Student Teaching Guidelines
Student Teaching Application Deadline
- February 28 (Fall semester)
- September 28 (Spring semester)
Students should plan on completing their student teaching during their last semester in the credential program. Students must be enrolled full-time for a minimum of 12 units during the semester of student teaching. Students must apply for student teaching one semester before they intend to student teach.
Special Education (SPED): Student teaching application and program CAP forms can be obtained from the Forms & Checklists page. Additional requirements are listed below and on the student teaching application.
If you hold a credential or permit issued by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CTC) make a copy and submit along with your application and CAP form in lieu of documentation below. Valid Multiple-Subject, Single Subject, Education Specialist, and Intern credentials cover all preconditions listed below. Valid Emergency Credentials or Permits cover only the COC and TB requirements.
Student Teaching Backup Documentation
- CBEST (California Basic Educational Skills Test) must be taken prior to admission and must be passed prior to the second semester of enrollment. For more information on the test, go to the CBEST website.
- Tuberculin Test (TB). Done within the two past years. Available at SFSU Health Center.
- Subject Matter Competence: Take the appropriate exam (CSET). (Please note: CD, ECSE and O&M are exempt.) Make certain to take all the applicable subsets in the category you choose. For more information contact a credential analyst in the Credential Services Teacher Preparation Office (BH 244) or call (415) 405-3594.
- Certificate of Clearance (COC): Fingerprint Clearance via Live Scan and Commission on Teacher Credentialing online application.
- Unofficial Transcripts